Halo 2 PC: Lets make an updated ISO

Talk about the game in general

Moderator: Project Staff

Halo 2 PC: Lets make an updated ISO

Postby Kills Alone » Thu Mar 24, 2016 8:43 pm

There is something I've been talking to UF ShadowTeddy about it recently; an updated Halo 2 PC ISO could make it easier for the average user to join the battle online.

This ISO could be downloaded via torrent and run by mounting the image, or burning it to a physical DVD. OR, perhaps it would come in an installer form where there is no ISO, just an executable file; such as an executable 7-Zip that is preset where to extract to.

It would include:

• Project Cartographer - XLiveless
  • MF.dll & a collection of DLLs for the curious cats
  • Modified mainmenu.map - slot map support, no menu music, blue filter removed
  • Custom maps - ~48 custom maps, plus 10 slot maps, possibly some H2.5
  • Custom Map Restriction Remover
  • Links to various Halo related sites / info
  • Tools - ???

What would you like to see included?
Kills Alone
UnAuthorized
UnAuthorized

Is a diamond in the rough

Re: Halo 2 PC: Lets make an updated ISO

Postby guy298 » Fri Mar 25, 2016 12:41 am

Maybe you could use your mad haxor skillz to throw in an extra main menu item that gives some tutorials/info on how the project works and/or how to set up servers and other things of that nature? Circumvent the need of a readme, just in case if this does get distributed in some apocalyptic, post-internet scenario where people only have burned dvds to play lan games on. That was a strange thought...

Fun fact: Windows 10 has built-in ISO mounting, so no daemon tools, just a right click. So just giving an ISO to people isn't a huge pain in the ass anymore.

Oh! Maybe even throw in that reshade mod teddy was talking about earlier as an optional addition!
guy298
Famous
Famous

Postby UF ShadowTeddy » Fri Mar 25, 2016 8:04 am

AS for tools, Sndrec's mouse thingy would be perfect. And for the modders, How about Assembly/Ambiguous Alpha?
Also, include the Dedicated Tools. Maybe as a standalone thats included in the Self Extracting Archive?

I'd like to think of the ISO versions in increments;
The basics - All you need to have a really good experience on H2V
And the Enhanced - Only For the Modding Savvy! The tools required to create custom campaign scenarios and mod the game even further, and make custom maps!
Obviously, these tools won't be able to be used in MP for cheating purposes (I was thinking, have the dedicated servers run a CHECKSUM for any cheating tools/memory edits done to the game. If they're found, then players get a 4 hour ban with a message telling them why. If it's a recurring matter, then there would be a rule where they would just get flat out banned.) But this isnt about banning and cheating counter-measures!
Its about deployment people!

I was also thinking, Have two options?
One which requires no install, just extract and play (Like Eldewrito)
And The other, good to earth, good ol' fashioned install (Which is where the ISO comes in)
As for the post apocalyptic internet thought:
I like your style. And now I honestly think that could happen :P
Maybe have an easteregg in the mainmenu? >_<

Speaking of the mainmenu, I was speaking to Magic (AKA Supersniper) and i was saying:
'Hey how cool would it be if each person got a custom tag? Like the bungie.net staff tag?'
'So If your a part of the H2MT team, you get the H2MT Tag'
'If your a Project Cartographer Dev, you get the Dev Tag'
'H2V Hub member? H2V Hub Tag'
'Eldewrito Team? (Like Fish) ED Tag'

I've been really getting into the Aesthetic Hacks of the game (I coined the term, and its caught on! ^^ ) And I would really like this to come about. Maybe have it as an app/in the actual mainmenu? (Which makes it all that more Legit/Prestigious as anyone could then become a 'Project Cartographer Dev' )
Ready?...1,2,3 FIRE!
UF ShadowTeddy
UnAuthorized
UnAuthorized

Postby Kills Alone » Fri Mar 25, 2016 4:49 pm

Good ideas, I wonder if the default installer looks for map file size/checksum, or if it would copy over extra maps. I'd like to include a lot of tools but I don't want people abusing them online either; lordy knows I've got lotsa apps. I could include tutorial videos but I think its easier to depend on links and youtube as that option is more dynamic in scope.
Kills Alone
UnAuthorized
UnAuthorized

Postby UF ShadowTeddy » Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:03 pm

Youtube is incredibly dynamic and VERY helpful, some people love to have visual aids while figuring out new things and halo 2 modding/map creating is no stranger to this!

I would think that the default installer does some form of a checksum when verifying files. BUT i've never tested this out so im not too sure. It wouldn't be too difficult to test out anyway, place a couple of files into the map folder contained within the H2PC ISO. Judging by the fact that Halo 2 is incredibly locked down, I'd assume that the installer follows this general trend, but who knows?
Ready?...1,2,3 FIRE!
UF ShadowTeddy
UnAuthorized
UnAuthorized

Postby supersniper » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:25 pm

Well I created an iso file of the original halo 2 disk.

Instead of creating our own iso we should create our own "update" which installs all the new features we are wanting to include in the OP.
I'm so lost :(
supersniper
THIS IS HALO!
THIS IS HALO!

Postby guy298 » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:30 pm

While that is also a good idea, I think the intent of making an iso that comes with the game install is to allow the technically uninclined (in very political terms) to easily install and play H2O (just got the h2o thing, I feel dumb...) without installing a patch/moving around .dll's and all that. Basically, to offer a single install way of playing online. Just my thoughts.
guy298
Famous
Famous

Postby PermaNull » Tue Apr 19, 2016 11:51 pm

guy298 wrote:While that is also a good idea, I think the intent of making an iso that comes with the game install is to allow the technically uninclined (in very political terms) to easily install and play H2O (just got the h2o thing, I feel dumb...) without installing a patch/moving around .dll's and all that. Basically, to offer a single install way of playing online. Just my thoughts.

Personally I'd enjoy if someone just ditched the entire ISO all together and made an installer package so people didn't have to mount, burn or extract and thing and it was just a one click solution.
PermaNull
Addicted
Addicted

Postby supersniper » Wed Apr 20, 2016 7:53 pm

So you want a 4gig+ executable file? to me that sounds obnoxious. Or we have an installer that will download the files off a server, which then will eat up a bunch of bandwith especially if many people are download these files at the same time.

It is more practical to have an ISO or extraction of the major game. and installer for the modified or added on patches and files.
I'm so lost :(
supersniper
THIS IS HALO!
THIS IS HALO!

Postby PermaNull » Wed Apr 20, 2016 9:32 pm

supersniper wrote:So you want a 4gig+ executable file? to me that sounds obnoxious. Or we have an installer that will download the files off a server, which then will eat up a bunch of bandwith especially if many people are download these files at the same time.

It is more practical to have an ISO or extraction of the major game. and installer for the modified or added on patches and files.

No see, what you do is do what other games have done and make a small executable stub with compressed files aside it which are extracted by the installer so they can download an entire archive or they just download the pieces.

But regardless I just feel like by doing things which don't offer a "one click" solution we limit the player base it's why things like steam are so convenient they don't require you to extract anything, or do anything besides download their client and run it which then offers you games with no additional effort as well.

(I don't condone piracy and nor does Project Cartographer I'm just saying if it were done heh.)
PermaNull
Addicted
Addicted

Next

Return to Discussion