How to install Halo 2 PC (Project Cartographer)
If you already have Halo 2 installed, begin at step 3
Step 1: Halo 2 for PC (3.65 GB):
- Hidden Content
- This board requires you to be registered and logged-in to view hidden content.
- If you're running Windows 8, Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 double click the ISO file and it should mount on its own
- If it doesn't, right click the file and Open With --> Windows Explorer
- If you're running Windows Vista or Windows 7: Mount the ISO using an ISO Mounting tool like VirtualCloneDrive or Daemon Tools lite.
- You can also extract the ISO using 7zip and run startup.exe from the unpacked folder.
- Go to My Computer, you should see a new DVD drive called Halo 2.
- Double click on the DVD drive and setup should start. If not, explore the DVD drive and double click on startup.exe
- Click Customize Game Install
- Choose your desired install location (GAME FILES MUST NOT BE MOVED AFTER INSTALL)
- Check the Full Install, Do not start, then continue setup
- Ignore any warnings that pop up
- Click "Run" if you get compatibility or performance issue windows.
- Hit Activate Later when the activation screen pops up.
- Let the game install completely.
Step 3: Get the following files:
- .NET Framework 4.6.1: http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=671744 ( Clicked 3332 times )
- Halo 2 Launcher (click Download on the next page): http://www.halo2vista.com/update/ ( Clicked 649 times )
Step 5: Install .NET framework. Restart your computer
Step 6: Place Halo_2_Launcher.exe into the Halo 2 directory (Default is in C:/Program Files (x86)/Microsoft Games/Halo 2)
Step 7: Run the launcher as admin
Step 8: Input your account credentials. (Cartographer.online account, not Halo2vista.com)
Step 9: Press play. Halo 2 should now start. You should see small text in the top left corner of the game window.
Step 10: If you see "Master Connection: Connected", the game and project have been installed properly
Step 11: You will be asked to create a game profile when the game starts. Profiles are used for player customization. In order to join servers you will have to click Network! (NOT LIVE) and click a server from there.
If you have any issues, please join our Discord server and we can help you (#Help channel)
For the noSteam Players: You will need to download the latest Launcher release to get the updated files. A game reinstall may also be necessary.
Also for those who want a VirusTotal:
Virus Total Scan ( Clicked 265 times )
FoV Changer and Mouse Acceleration Fix ( Clicked 1253 times )
Custom Map Repo ( Clicked 394 times ) - Custom maps must be copied to "C:/Users/<username>/Documents/My Games/Halo 2/Maps " -Currently limited to 50 maps at one time
? My game tells my I'm missing a .dll file (such as d3d9.dll)
- Download and install the DirectX Runtime
? My game says my game version is out of date
- The launcher should auto update your game. If it fails to do so, close the game and install the latest Halo 2 PC update
? My game lags at the main menu / network browser is empty
- Your xlive.dll is out of date. Navigate to your game folder, delete xlive.dll and xlive.ini, then run the launcher again.
? My launcher doesn't work / my game crashes
- Make sure you're using the latest version of the launcher and the game. If you are still having issues, please post in the help forum or join our Discord server for #help
? I can't connect to a dedicated server
- Its usually a server issue. Can also be caused if you have a dynamic IP from your ISP. Solved by a server restart. Contact @tweek on Discord
? When I host a game, people are unable to join
- Be sure TCP/UDP ports 1000 - 1009 are forwarded. Check Windows Firewall to be sure halo2.exe is not blocked on both inbound and outbound connections.
? I can't see any games in the network server browser
- Navigate to your game folder, open xlive.ini in a text editor, and change port = 1000 to port = 2000. Save, exit, and restart Halo 2.
If you have issues saving the file (Access Denied) then save the file to the desktop as "xlive.ini" and move the file from the desktop to the game's install directory
? My antivirus deleted the launcher and/or the .dll files it installs
- Add these files to your antivirus' exclusions. The project files may be false positives, but are clean.
Project Cartographer's Xlive.dlll: https://goo.gl/y72ckK
? How can I remap the controller buttons to bumper jumper or boxer?
- We recommend you use Durazno. Preset Configs:
Bumper Jumper ( Clicked 92 times )
? Where do I install custom maps?
- Place them in C:/Users/<username>/Documents/My Games/Halo 2/Maps. Be sure you select the Custom Maps tab in-game to see them.
? I can't play with my friends on the same network
- Each client that is behind the same external IP needs to have a different port setting. Open xlive.ini and change port = 1000 to port = 2000 or whatever you want.
? When I try to play with my friends, we kick each other out of the game
- Private message Big TwEEkx (tweek) or supersniper (Magic) on these forums or on the Discord server